[K12OSN] Re: Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Travis Smith tsmith at geneseeschools.org
Tue Jan 30 02:08:16 UTC 2007

Where is the school? I would be concerned with 1 server. If possible I
would get a cheap server rack  and get some rack mount servers with a
big boy ups sitting at the bottom.  Go for 4 GB ram and raid one storage
of some kind preferably scsi.  3 servers would be best with 2 running
k12ltsp and one for auth. A cheapo kvm would be nice to.

Travis Smith
Information Systems Manager
Genesee Schools
810.591.3111
>>> joseph.bishay at gmail.com 01/29/07 6:26 PM >>>
Hello,

I hope you are doing well.

Thank you all for the comprehensive reply!

Once I started reading your email, I realized that probably the best
way to proceed was to work with the idea of NIC Bonding or port
trunking.  I have a surplus of Gigabit cards so I could put 3 in a
server (reading online I found that more than 3 wasn't going to give
enough of an improvement due to the PCI bus limitations -- can anyone
validate this?) and then send all 3 of those to the switch. I could
then bond 3 ports from that switch to the next one (we'll probably
have 2 x48 gigabit switches for the whole building -- still counting
the number of ports/computers required) so as to deal with the
bandwidth.  The cost of some of those fiber <-> copper converts look
rather daunting.

Scanned by GenNET AV out