[K12OSN] 2-server setup

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 16:36:39 UTC 2007

The only 'gotcha' with using just two servers is that if you upgrade the
server that is hosting /home and also is the LDAP master, it is more tedious
and (in my view) more a pain since you have to potentially setup LDAP again,
and make sure that /home isn't lost.  I guess you could redesignate the LDAP
master to the server you are not upgrading as well as moving /home to it,
and switch their roles. I use a server which is dedicated to hosting /home
and running as the LDAP master.  Then, my K12LTSP servers are LDAP slaves
(thanks to the wonderful script supplied by Matt Olmquist (?) and David
Trask).  This way, upgrading the K12LTSP servers is relatively risk free in
the sense that if K12LTSP installs, then you are almost done once you copy
over all of the conf (dhcp, cups, ltsp) files that you needed to save.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins