[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 03:18:55 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 21:31, Rob Owens wrote:
> To eliminate the ground plane problem, couldn't you
> just run a grounding cable from one building to the
> other (in the
> same conduit as your network wire).  This seems to me
> like it would solve the problem, but I'm not 100% sure
> -- and I
> don't know if it is allowed by the electrical code
> (but I don't see why it wouldn't be).
>
> -Rob

Nope. Unless the two locations already share a common ground plane, you need
to optically isolate them. Connecting two separate grounds will only ensure
that any electrical potential will travel between locations. I have seen
problems *within the same building* where there has been an addition that
wasn't properly grounded.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |