[K12OSN] wireless and home directories

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Jan 31 15:29:33 UTC 2007

Assuming the laptop has its own full install of Linux--that is, it's a fat client--there
are a few different ways you could do it.  One would be to use the automounter to mount
the home directory over NFS; check out the /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.net files.
Another way would be to use sshfs which allows a user to mount a remote directory over
ssh.  It's not clear to me whether the ID & PW used to login on the laptop are the same
as would be used to access the home directory on the server, but if they're different,
you could create a script that pops up a dialog box asking for those parameters from the
user, pass them to sshfs, and put the whole thing in, say, /etc/profile.d. (I did just
this recently.)

HTH

Petre