[K12OSN] NFS help

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Jan 3 16:10:08 UTC 2007

I've been using NFS for years, and it's been great.  Our recent
increase in clients (both thin and other) has caused, problems...

I think I'm running out of file locks, or having too many open files,
or too many threads (yeah, I'm completely guessing what I'm running
out of), or something.

Could someone point me in the right direction to diagnose, and
hopefully fix NFS?

The symptoms are:

1) Programs on thin clients for users with NFS home directories don't
open, they just sorta hang and hang.  Sometimes they'll start after
10 minutes.

2) double clicking a file in nautilus will sometimes open the file
(in openoffice), but then nautilus will hang.

3) on my OSX clients, Microsoft Word complains that either a file is
locked, or it can't lock a file -- both errors are common.

If I try to:

service nfs restart

the part that says, "Shutting down NFS daemon:     FAILED" always
comes up, but then further down it says, "Starting NFS daemon:
SUCCESS"

I can't find any useful errors, but rebooting the NFS server does fix
the problem for a while.  It first, of course, locks up every client
unless they've logged out, so it's not a great solution, and was not
a great way to start the year. :)

Thanks for any insight,
-Shawn

--