[K12OSN] needed: recommendations for Linux flavor with ongoing support

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Jan 3 16:21:17 UTC 2007

_______________________________
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!

Accessys at smart.net wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, David Trask wrote:
>

>> "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com>
>> writes:
>>
>>> SUSE!
>>>
>> UBUNTU!
>>
>> (figured since we were shouting out distros, I'd add one)  ;-)
>>

> Wasn't shouting "SUSE" is written in all caps, complain to Novell
>
> and he was asking about support, SUSE has commercial support if you wish
> and they claim several years Ubuntu I've found seems to have very little
> support, or at least my experience with it.

Unfortunately, Novell's patent deal with Microsoft makes that highly
dangerous now.  I used to recommend SuSE Linux, even on this list, as an
LTSP platform.  Now I have to avoid SuSE like the plague.  Sad, but true.

I use Kubuntu Dapper Drake on my primary desktop at work, as does my
troop.  Two others in my group use Ubuntu; one uses Dapper, and the
other Edgy.  It is a good distro, and I understand that Canonical offers
support similar to that of Red Hat and Novell.  Furthermore, if you run
Ubuntu Dapper on Sun gear, as I do, Sun Microsystems itself apparently
plays in the Ubuntu support space now.

--TP