[K12OSN] advice needed: re linux file permissions

john lists.john at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 20:02:02 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I am trying to give a user write permission on a directory and the files and
sub-directory's located therein. The directory and its contents are owned by
user A, and I want user B to have rwx permissions on that directory as well.
So I tried adding user B to /etc/groups using vigr and doing the following.
The directory is 775 but user B still can't do touch in the directory. When
I use the 'groups' command as that user, I don't see that 'B' is part of the
group 'A'. Here's what the relevant part of my /etc/groups file looks like.
A:x:508,B

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

John