[K12OSN] Issues with two terminals - xserver fails / Matrox Millenium II

Michael Elliott melliott at rpmhd.org
Fri Jan 5 14:44:58 UTC 2007

Sorry for the delay, I was in another county yesterday doing my other
duties.

These machines are just generics.  We got them as hand-me-downs from the
FDA.

Alright - I was able to put an old S3 video card into the machine.  I
commented out the VESA and 4096 statements and fired up the machine
using the 640x480 and 800x600 settings (separate boot-ups).  I did
actually get to the GUI screen this time.  Both resolutions resulted in
the login screen appearing, but when I try to log in it goes black then
comes back to the login screen - doesn't reboot, just back to the
login.  I tried to put back in the VESA and the 4096 statements, but the
Xserver crashes again.

As far as the other machines are pulling their names - I can see when I
do a "w" I see the other users logged into ws131.  As far as the ones I
am having trouble with, I don't know how to see their names other than
when the DHCP kicks in I can see the static IP being assigned.

Thanks for your help guys I feel like I'm getting close -

Mike