[K12OSN] GDM login manager problem

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Jan 5 16:21:31 UTC 2007

Meelis Mihhailov wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My server has a strange problem. At the moment client login takes a
> long time and same when they log out but when they are finlly logged
> in everything works fine. Programs open an run as usual.
>
> Looking at the messages log I get this :
> **********************************************************************************************************
> Jan  4 08:52:37 terminalbackup gdmlogin[30067]:   Failed to connect to
> socket, not sleeping
<snipped>
> Jan  4 08:52:37 terminalbackup gdmlogin[30067]:   Trying failed
> command again.  Try 5 of 5.
> Jan  4 08:52:37 terminalbackup gdmlogin[30067]:   Failed to connect to
> socket, not sleeping
> Jan  4 08:52:37 terminalbackup gdmlogin[30067]:   Command failed 5
> times, aborting.
> Jan  4 08:52:37 terminalbackup gdmlogin[30067]: Could not access
> configuration key
> <greeter/Exclude=bin,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown,halt,mail,news,uucp,operator,nobody,gdm,postgres,pvm,rpm,nfsnobody,pcap>
> Jan  4 08:52:37 terminalbackup gdmlogin[30067]: Using compiled in
> value
> <bin,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown,halt,mail,news,uucp,operator,nobody,gdm,postgres,pvm,rpm,nfsnobody,pcap>
> for
> <greeter/Exclude=bin,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown,halt,mail,news,uucp,operator,nobody,gdm,postgres,pvm,rpm,nfsnobody,pcap>
> **********************************************************************************************************
> and there is a lot more of that.
> I suspect that it has something to do with gdm bug and so I updated
> the gdm to the latest releace that is out for FC5.
> This did not solve my problem. Login window has it's default login
> stuff. Not k12 logo but GNOME logo.
>
> So I googled a lot and cryed and finally found some info that I can
> change my login manager to something else but still manage to use
> GNOME as my desktop.
> I would like to try this with my clients but where can I find the
> config where it's written what is my default login manager and where
> can I change the values so that clients use the following method :
>
> DESKTOP = GNOME
> LOGIN MANAGER = KDE (for example)
>
> Any ideas ? :)

I believe that the file "/etc/X11/prefdm" is what you want to tweak.
There's a part in that file that says the following:

# Run preferred X display manager
preferred=
if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/desktop ]; then
        . /etc/sysconfig/desktop
        if [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = GNOME ]; then
                preferred=gdm
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = KDE ]; then
                preferred=kdm
        elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = XDM ]; then
                preferred=xdm
        fi
fi

Now, in the part where it checks $DISPLAYMANAGER for GNOME, just tweak
that to kdm instead of gdm.  Then, so that the new display manager (kdm)
takes effect, just do an init 3 followed by an init 5, and that should
do it.

--TP