[K12OSN] K12LTSP 6.0 client booting problems

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Jan 5 17:00:27 UTC 2007

Mark McSweeney wrote:
> I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I searched the K12OS
> archives and documentation and could not find a reference to this
> problem.
>
> On the older versions (pre 5.0) of K12LTSP I was able to simply
> install the OS and boot the client with a boot disk.
>
> Since I installed 6.0 when I try to boot the client acquires an IP ok
> then I get this:
>
>> Doing the pivot_root
>> Mounting the devfs filesystem
>> Running /sbin/init
>>
>> Enter runlevel:
>

> I did find this post on the LTSP mailing list:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ltsp-discuss&m=114572079627648&w=2
>
> but I am a little confused because I thought that K12LTSP was ready to
> go "out of the box" and the instructions for addressing this problem
> seem to be to update the LTSP packages and kernel.

> For reference my /etc/dhcpd-k12ltsp.conf file looks like this:

> and my /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf looks like this:

At first glance, your dhcpd & lts conf files look ok.

It appears that you are getting past TFTP, so we'll assume that is
working ok.

NFS is probably ok as well, but we should double-check that. What is the
contents of /etc/exports ?   Also, run these commands just to make sure
that NFS is running properly:

	/sbin/chkconfig portmap on
	/sbin/chkconfig nfs on
	/sbin/service portmap restart
	/sbin/service nfs restart

Just to make sure that the security mechanisms are not bitting you, run
these two commands and then try to boot a terminal:

	/sbin/service iptables stop
	/usr/sbin/setenforce 0

Finally, a couple of questions to help us debug...

* what is the output of:

	rpm -q ltsp_i386-boot ltsp_i386
	rpm -V ltsp_i386-boot ltsp_i386

* was this a fresh install or an upgrade?

* I see that you are using 192.168.2.x. How did you make this change &
did you make any other changes?

* what type of terminals are you using?

-Eric