[K12OSN] program w/ short source code to show to a linux newbie?

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 7 01:09:20 UTC 2007

I relative of mine is an out-of-work COBOL programmer.
 I briefly introduced him to Linux and Free Software,
and he's interested in learning more.

I am looking an application that I can show him, along
w/ the source code.  I'd like to give him an
application that is useful, but contains a minimal
amount of code so that it's not too overwhelming.
He's not going to do anything w/ the code, he just
wants to check it out.

It also would be great if the application runs on
Windows, since that's what he's currently using at
home.

Any suggestions?

-Rob