[K12OSN] general acceptance of k12ltsp in schools

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Tue Jan 9 01:33:20 UTC 2007

Hello All,

I posed this question about a year ago, and am wonedering what others have
found,that work in the trenches, since there have been a lot more people
come on board to k12ltsp.
How has the administrative and teachers in general accepted k12ltsp in
your school? I'd like to hear actual "comments". Here is a scenario at our
school. Of course most teachers are very offish because " Its not MS$".
The last superintendent was very receptive to Linux/K12LTSP, but having
consolidated and a new super,I heard was " Well whether you like it or
not,it's a MS$ world out there". Enough said. How do you get any farther
than that?:(. Also Ive heard "It's free"? Mind turning,,, it must not be
worth much:(. Or "How much longer will it be free".
You can show all involved the benefits of the Educational software bundled
 for all age ranges,right out of the box,in K12LTSP,but seems to not
offset it,, not being branded MS$. I've found if you told the higher ups
its going to cost thousands of $$ to get k12ltsp going they would listen
much more. Don't make sense but thats the way it seems.
Here's a good point too. I talk to an old timer on the phone for hardware,
 that is a long time Linux guru,,that had his own business and is a world
traveler, He told me that the US would be the last country to "flip" to
accepting Linux,because the US is so "commercialized". Im seeing he makes
very much sense.:)You people in Europe/Asia/etc, are a step ahead,in
thinking i can see!:).

Just curious what others have heard when trying to roll out K12LTSP in
your schools.

Thanks,

Barry Cisna