[K12OSN] Help with scripting please: was Weird! Backspace doesn't work for Some users in OpenOffice

john lists.john at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 19:59:22 UTC 2007

Well the reset option doesn't work for me. I am think now that it has
something to do with the script I used to set .doc, .xls, .ppt files as the
default for users. Since I am using Ubuntu, I don't have any of the
handy-dandy scripts that Eric wrote to ease k12LTSP administration. So I
wrote my own. Hopefuly someone can spot a problem and help me work this out.

Here's the scenerio:
1) I want all student users Open Office docs to save MS formats by default.
I accomplish this by copying information from a template account into the
directory of the student at login. The script creates the path to the
OpenOffice files in question because they are normally dynamically created
when the user executes OO for the first time. If I don't pre-create these
directories then the MS defaults aren't copied accross successfuly until the
SECOND time students use OO.

This is script is called from /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default. Here's the script

#creates the directories ahead of time so that the following scripts always
have a place to go

sa=/home/VUARD/$USER/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/
sw=/home/VUARD/$USER/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/
mkdir -p $sa
mkdir -p $sw
chown -R $USER $sa
chown -R $USER $sw
cp -f /var/oofficeDefaults/Setup.xcu \
/home/VUARD/$USER/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Setup.xcu
#makes the Zdrive the default save location for users by copying the
settings from #/var/oofficeDefaults/
cp -f /var/oofficeDefaults/Common.xcu \
/home/VUARD/$USER/.openoffice.org2/user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/Common.xcu
exit 0

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to render.

John