[K12OSN] NFS help (maybe fixed)

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Thu Jan 11 14:25:37 UTC 2007

:o)  Thanks Huck.

I cleaned out things in /var/lib/nfs -- but made sure to re-create
the folder structure, because it's VERY crucial to create the
folders...  I also fsck'd my /home partition, and did a little
"server get better" dance in the server room.  I rebooted everything,
to make sure it came up on it's own, and things appear to be working
well this morning.  I did get a "files can't be locked" error on on
eMac that hadn't been rebooted.  After reboot, the eMac didn't
complain about file locking.

I also found that I had a cron job running every minute to fix
permissions on a shared folder.  It was a recursive chmod command,
and there are now quite a few files/directories in the share.  I
bumped that down to every 10 minutes, so maybe that will help with
performance issues a bit.

If I can limp through this year, I'm pretty sure next year I'll have
my OSX machines mount home folders in a different way (via netatalk
maybe, but I'll have to get LDAP working on either an OSX server or a
Linux box)

Thanks for the well-wishes, and the email I got offlist as well.

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director