[K12OSN] Adobe Reader security updates

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Jan 12 22:44:02 UTC 2007

The root-desktop-urls package includes a script that will install Adobe
Reader. (either by clicking on the "Install Acrobat" icon or running
/usr/sbin/get.acrobat)

I can update the root-desktop-urls to point to the latest version of
Adobe Reader, but "yum update" will only update the root-desktop-urls
package - it won't automatically fetch the updated Acrobat as well.

So I'm going to try a new approach. The latest root-desktop-urls package
 for K12LTSP 6.0 has a new script, /usr/sbin/get.acrobat-upgrade, that
is automatically executed after the package is installed. If the upgrade
script sees that you have the AdobeReader_enu package installed, it
fetches and installs the latest version.

I'll do this for the 5.0 & 4.2.3EL versions as well, once I'm sure this
really is as safe and sane as I think it is...

In the meantime, you can go to http://www.adobe.com/ , click on "get
Adobe Reader", choose "rpm", click on "Continue". When the download is
done, you can open up a shell and run "rpm -Uhv AdobeReader*rpm" to
install the new package.

-Eric