[K12OSN] Failed software raid 5

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 03:07:26 UTC 2007

On 13/01/07, ATM Logic <atmlogic at kmts.ca> wrote:

> So, the drives are fine, and the size, etc all looks perfect, but the
> Array
> is broken, and I don't know/understand it enough to put it back together,
> or
> even have it... Try...

man mdadm

This will give you idea of how to manage the array. In such cases  where one
of the drive of RAID1 array goes bad just giving a command  to remove drive
from array and then adding it back and giving it time to re-build is
sufficient. Unless the drive has physically gone bad there shoud not be a
problem and after few minutes (depending on data size) the array will report
ok.
Note that you have to do this to each raid device
..md1,md2,md3..individually. Raid devices start numbering from 0 and hard
disk partitions from 1 ...so typically md0 will have components hda1 and
hdb1
The command, in sequence, that I have used are:

mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/hdb1
mdadm  -D /dev/md0
mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/hdb1
mdadm -D /dev/md0

Repeat fro all degraded arrays.Again read man pages and make sure you have
backup.

HTH
--
Regards,