[K12OSN] Blocked net access

David Whitmer thewhitmers at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 11:49:28 UTC 2007

On 1/12/07, Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:

> The nat service is pretty simple. If you strip it down, this is all it does:
>
>         PUBLIC_ETHERNET="eth1"
>         iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $PUBLIC_ETHERNET -j MASQUERADE
>         echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>

> It doesn't care if the interface is up or down, what the ip address is,
> etc, etc. The only configurable item is the interface that is nat'd.
>
> If your public interface is on something other than eth1, edit
> /etc/init.d/nat and change the "PUBLIC_ETHERNET=" line.
>

> -Eric

I checked the nat service's settings, and all seems to be as it should be.

I think I forgot to mention in my prior post that ping works fine from
the Windows clients as long as I specify an IP address; when I ping
using a name, ping fails.  I get similar results with web browsers...
going to a site by IP address works fine, but doing so by name
(www.whatever.com) fails every time.  Which tells me I have a name
resolution problem.

I noticed that there's at least one other person in this discussion
thread seeming to have the same problem as I'm having.

For me, the crazy part is that my other k12LTSP servers work fine as
far as this goes.  But when comparing settings between them, I do not
see any differences.  Most likely, though, I'm looking in the wrong
places.

Any suggestions on what I should check?

thanks!

David Whitmer