[K12OSN] Testing my newly installed smbldap server.

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Jan 15 18:49:10 UTC 2007

First, it's not a good idea to attach Microsoft .doc files, since not
everyone here uses MS Windows or MS Office.  Furthermore, .doc files
very often contain macro viruses and even embedded CraptiveX controls.
I never open those from untrusted sources.  Much better to use .odt or
.sxw, since we all here do use K12LTSP.  Now, to your question.

Sure, if you want Internet connectivity, it'd be easy to add a third
NIC.  However, a much safer option is to have some kind of
packet-filtering router between your K12LTSP server and the Internet.
This way, your Windows clients could also hit the Internet.  I'm
assuming here, since you say that you cannot connect to the school's
network, that you have a second Internet connection, e. g. broadband or
separate T1 line.  Also, doing it this way (packet filter in front of
the Internet connection) saves you from having to bother with a third
NIC in the LTSP server.

Am I understanding your situation right?

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!