[K12OSN] K12osn - OT 4-way Opteron or 2-way 4 core Xeon server?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Jan 16 19:34:58 UTC 2007

I think you'd get more 'oomph' from the 4-way Opteron box than you would with a 2-way
dual-core Xeon box.  Opterons have generally had better performance than Xeons, which is
one of the main reasons AMD has had such good sales numbers for the past few years.
Now, a 2-way quad-core Xeon box might outperform the Opteron box, since it has more
cores available.  But all of this is predicated on your app being able to take advantage
of having that many CPU cores.  And it depends on what the app does.  We have some perl
scripts that parse huge XML files and load them into Oracle.  We moved them from a HP
Itanium box (eight CPUs?  Can't recall exactly) to a handful of Opteron boxes because
the parsing turned out to be CPU bound, and the Opterons could run rings around the HP
box.  But as far as hosting the DB, it stays on the HP because it handles the IO better.
  (We'd look at using clusters for the Oracle DBs, but we're being absorbed into another
company, and it won't be our problem shortly).

Petre