[K12OSN] Frameworks for Web based Student InformationSystems

Abraham Rolick ARolick at fillmore.k12.ca.us
Tue Jan 16 21:54:00 UTC 2007

A big NO-vote for PHP from me also

-Abe

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Caleb Wagnon
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:09 AM
To: Support list for open source software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Frameworks for Web based Student
InformationSystems

Have you checked out Centre:

http://www.miller-group.net/

Don't ask me questions about it cause I don't have any experience with
it. I could however get you into contact with a guy that uses it in his
district...though not for a full fledged SIS.

As far as languages, I like PHP for how easy it is to do so much...but
I believe that's also its downfall. I've battled so many PHP related
security issues that I don't use it for much anymore.

J2EE seems to be the way to go if you've got some good Java developers
on hand IMO.

Caleb Wagnon
Technology Coordinator
Fordyce Schools

____________________

>>> "Robert Arkiletian" <robark at gmail.com> 1/16/2007 11:45 AM >>>
Not sure how many developers are on this list but here goes.

What types of frameworks would be best suited for developing a full
featured large scale (district level) Student Information System?

The ones which I know exist are
J2EE
JBoss
Zope (Python)
Django (Python)
Ruby on Rails
PHP

I'm assuming the database backend would be PostgreSQL, MySQL or
Oracle.

The real question is if one (or more) district(s) was to hire a team
of developers to write a GPLed SIS, how long would this take and cost?
(Approx.)