[K12OSN] OT: Limiting to a specific proxy to prevent getting aroundit

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Wed Jan 17 16:04:29 UTC 2007

David,

  I'm sure you are wanting something  more extensive / fool proof,than
this, but this setup has worked Ok for our school. I simply went into
the firefox browser .js file and hard coded the proxy settings sytem
wide.
Edit:

/usr/lib/firefox-x.x.x.x/greprefs/all.js

drill down to line 618

change the proxy line & port line  #'s to link to your border
router/firewall..

There is a way to make this "grayed out"/ unchangeable as well , but I
never went to the trouble of doing this,but you'd want to do this Im sure
as much trouble as you've gone to to make this happen for your school.
If the kids know how to find this setting in the browser they can "delete
it" for their given login session. next time they log in,it is in again
though.

This probably didnt do much good for you, but it's a suggestion.

Take Care,

Barry Cisna
westcentral school