[K12OSN] Upgrading Mozilla Firefox

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Jan 18 06:20:26 UTC 2007

Time to update your K12LTSP 4.0, Dan.  Security updates for such an old
version are no longer forthcoming.  That version was based on Fedora
Core 1, and you're putting your system and users at some risk by not
upgrading to something with security updates.  The Fedora Legacy
project, which supported even Red Hat Linux 7.3, has closed its doors.
It's a similar situation to using, say, Windows NT Server 3.51 or 4.0.

If you'd like to stay with a single version of K12LTSP for a long
period, you might consider the "Enterprise" version of K12LTSP, which is
based on CentOS.  Security updates for CentOS will be available until
the year 2012.

Now, that said, one approach would be to download the latest Firefox
from www.firefox.com and install it manually.  I tend to use
/usr/local/firefox for this.  You'll have to point your existing
symlinks (/usr/bin/firefox, usually) to this new install of Firefox.  If
/usr/bin/firefox isn't a symlink, but rather an actual file, then just
rename /usr/bin/firefox to, say, /usr/bin/firefox.orig.  Then symlink
(in this example) /usr/local/firefox/firefox to /usr/bin/firefox, and
barring any other FC1-specific idiosyncracies, you should be in business
with the new Firefox version.

But you really, REALLY should upgrade your K12LTSP installation to
something current.  That's the proper fix.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!