[K12OSN] Onboard RAID or Software RAID

Fabio Milano milanofabio at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 07:18:05 UTC 2007

I have used both Hardware RAID (real hardware raid) and Software RAID
(OS raid). While Hardware RAID controllers will give you a better
performance their price is very high. I would recommend using the OS
RAID, its robust and I have even tested it by simulating a
powerfailure while the drives were actively working. The OS RAID staid
intact and no data was lost (ext3 file system).

Once your system is up and running use the following command to test
your drive speed

#hdparm -Tt /dev/md0

Timing buffered disk reads:  132 MB in  3.03 seconds =  43.54 MB/sec
Is what I get with a VIA onboard SATA controller.

With SCSI drives I usually get around 90.00MB/sec +