[K12OSN] usb drives not showing files

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Jan 18 17:34:45 UTC 2007

Ernie Hudson wrote:
> the usb drives mount and the icon appears on the desktop ( actually 2, usb
> and a 2nd floppy). When the students try to open the folder it opens but
> does not show any files. The server is k12lstp5 and I have 6 thin clients
> and 2 dell optiplex gx150. this happens on all the clients.
>

> Ernie Hudson
>
> CLS 3 Serrano High School
>
> 760-868-3222  ext 2687

My guess is that this has to do with FUSE (File System in Userspace)
permissions.

The new (5.0/6.0) remote USB/floppy/cdrom support uses FUSE. FUSE
requires, by default, that only users in the "fuse" group can make FUSE
mounts.

K12LTSP defaults to allowing all users to make FUSE mounts. Perhaps this
was turned off on your server?

You can try either adding your users to the fuse group, or make sure
that the K12LTSP defaults are in place:

	/sbin/service ltspfs-insecure start
	/sbin/chkconfig ltspfs-insecure on

-Eric