[K12OSN] Help! Added 2nd drive and edited fstab = no boot

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 19:45:10 UTC 2007

On Thursday 18 January 2007 13:39, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> OK, I fouled up...  I've just formatted the second drive to a classroom
> server then edited fstab adding:
>
> LABEL=/home2            /home2                  ext3    defaults        1 2
>
> Now the system won't bopot and just drops to the shell.  You know- type
> control d or enter password for file system check...
>
> How do I mount the root file system rw??  I can nano /etc/fstab, but it is
> read only.

Try this to mount your root partition r/w from single-user mode:

	mount -o remount rw /

I would check to make sure you can mount the new drive manually before putting
it in your fstab. Once you can do that, unmount it, edit fstab and mount it
with a simple: mount /home2 command, and *then* try rebooting. Any mistakes
should turn up for correction without affecting the rest of the machine.

I am old fashioned, but I prefer to use the device designation
(i.e. /dev/sdb1) instead of relying on a label that is subject to
duplication, typos, and corruption. But that's just me.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |