[K12OSN] AJAX and users

Luis Montes luis.montes at cox.net
Fri Jan 19 05:53:19 UTC 2007

If the majority of the page's contents are replaced, the user rightfully
assumes that a new page has been loaded.
That's an ajax-based navigation, and it's a bad use of the technology.

There are plenty of useful things you can do with ajax that can enhance
a web site.
For example, a quick database-backed lookup for a form textfield. That
can potentially make the user experience better when filling out a form
without the need to dump a large amount of data into a select box or
javascript array, or forcing a popup window.
Further, the dynamically generated XML response doesn't need to be
overly verbose, and can likely be a much smaller amount of data to transfer.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I was just disagreeing with the widely
held misconception of an inherent back-button problem for all things ajax.
Ajax doesn't break the back-button, bad programming breaks the back-button.

Luis