[K12OSN] Swapping out a PATA for a SATA

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Sat Jan 20 01:11:28 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I'm running my k12ltsp server off a single PATA drive.  I just bought a
SATA II drive which my mobo also supports.  I know how to install the
PATA II and move the /home directory to it, but I'm wondering if I
should just use the SATA alone, or run SATA for the boot drive and put
/home on the PATA.  What would you do given the choice between these
drives?

Also, I don't have the time/energy right now to reinstall/reconfigure.
I'm leaning heavily towards just putting /home on the new SATA and
seeing what kindof performance gain I get.  BUT I've got to wondering.
Is it even possible to install the SATA and copy the PATA to it and then
reboot and be in business off the SATA drive?  If so, what's the procedure?

I've used

mkdir /mnt/newhome
mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdb1
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/newhome
(cd /home && tar cf - .) | (cd /mnt/newhome && tar xpf -)

To move /home to its own drive before.  Would some variant of this copy
a bootable filesystem?

Thanks a lot,

ck