[K12OSN] printing to CUPS printer from program without support

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Mon Jan 22 23:57:57 UTC 2007

Todd,

This should be easy.

Just use:

    lpr -P some_printer

where the value of 'some_printer' is the name of one of your printers.

You can get a list of available printers by running:

     lpstat -l

The same thing is required for printing within acroread.

You can get by without the '-P printer' by setting a default, either
per-user or system wide.

You can use the 'lpoptions' command to set the default.

Check the man pages on lpstat and lpoptions for more info.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org