[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 15:47:57 UTC 2007

One other consideration when networking multiple buildings: using fiberoptic
cabling (instead of copper) between buildings would reduce the chances of
incurring grounding loops. Unless there is a single ground plane for all
wiring, when there is a short, it will take the shortest path and that could
be through your network equipment. The chances of one building having a
common ground plane are much greater than multiple buildings sharing a common
ground plane; don't import another building's problems. I have learned this
from sad experience, profit from my folly. It is way expensive to do the
backbone correctly the *second* time, instead of the first.