[K12OSN] Networking a new school for K12LTSP?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Jan 25 18:09:35 UTC 2007

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> My $0.02 on point 6 - wiring for wireless. Don't bother to run power to
> those spots. Run just verified cat5, full 8 wires and use power over
> ethernet. Thr POE switches are getting cheaper. You get less expemsive
> installation with the added remote power control of the wireless ap.
> julius

POE reminded me of one other thing -  if you haven't already planned for
it, you will probably
someday want an IP based phone in each room.  You can put these on the
same drop with
proper QOS and make everything work, but it is a lot easier if you've
planned a separate
subnet for them and keep them as much as possible on their own
switches.   You'll want
POE to run the phones with a central UPS, but most other things won't
need it and you
can get by with older switches that don't have all the latest voice QOS
management
on the data side if you keep it separate.  So - pull at least one extra
wire to each
room where you might want a phone.

--
  Les Mikesell