[K12OSN] WOL for thin clients

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 17:57:05 UTC 2007

On 1/25/07, Barry Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net> wrote:
> Hi Petre,
>
> If you have FC5 or FC6 on your server just do, as root:
>
> ether-wake <mac address>
>
> on a client you have wol enabled on.
> put a -D in there for debugging.
> It'll wake 'em right up!
> I cant figure out how to " broadcast" to all clients on the LAN,though:(..

-manually turn on all clients (no need to login)
-run fl-tt 0.41 from the top menu File->Write_MAC_Addresses
-All your MAC addresses shouldl now be in
/etc/fl_teachertool/fl_teachertool.maclist
-run the python script below (or in a cron job) Don't forget to make
it executable (chmod +x)
(Note: I have not tried this script, please test it first !!!!)
(put the full path to ether-wake, I don't know where it is)

#!/usr/bin/python
import os

macfile=file('/etc/fl_teachertool/fl_teachertool.maclist','r')
for x in macfile:
   os.system("ether-wake "+x)
macfile.close

--