[K12OSN] WOL for thin clients

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Jan 26 18:11:19 UTC 2007

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On 1/25/07, Barry Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net> wrote:
>> Hi Petre,
>>
>> If you have FC5 or FC6 on your server just do, as root:
>>
>> ether-wake <mac address>
>>
>> on a client you have wol enabled on.
>> put a -D in there for debugging.
>> It'll wake 'em right up!
>> I cant figure out how to " broadcast" to all clients on the
>> LAN,though:(..
>
> -manually turn on all clients (no need to login)
> -run fl-tt 0.41 from the top menu File->Write_MAC_Addresses
> -All your MAC addresses shouldl now be in
> /etc/fl_teachertool/fl_teachertool.maclist
> -run the python script below (or in a cron job) Don't forget to make
> it executable (chmod +x)
> (Note: I have not tried this script, please test it first !!!!)
> (put the full path to ether-wake, I don't know where it is)
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
> import os
>
> macfile=file('/etc/fl_teachertool/fl_teachertool.maclist','r')
> for x in macfile:
>   os.system("ether-wake "+x)
> macfile.close

That certainly makes gathering the MAC addresses easier.  But, as mentioned, my problem
is that the clients are not responding to the magic sequence being sent to the.

BTW, Robert, in fl_tt under File, I see a Display_MAC_Addresses option, but selecting it
doesn't seem to do anything; should it?

Petre