[K12OSN] help needed adding networked printers by location/thinclient

john lists.john at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 19:07:07 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I would like to assign different network printers to different thin
clients based on their location around the lan. I think I could modify
the script below to do this with some help from folks here. I
excerpted this from
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/ManagingUserConfiguration#Default_printer

I've attached a windows network printer using smb but I don't know how
to call it using this script. How do I identify it from the command
line and assign it here?

I didn't see anything lpoptions to display the printer name, but I
figure if I knew how the system sees it I could paste it in below.
Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

John

# Sets the default printer based on physical location (specifically,
# by workstation).  Also sets default printer settings.
#
#

function set_printer_defaults
{
        if [ "$CLIENT" = "localhost.localdomain" ];
        then
                # it is hard to find physical location with VNC
                set_printer_defaults_manual

        else
                set_default_printer_helper "printer1" "ws001 ws002 ws003"
                set_default_printer_helper "printer2" "ws004 ws004 ws006"
        fi
}