[K12OSN] 4.4.2 to 6.0 upgrade

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Jan 27 21:40:57 UTC 2007

Yes, it's possible, but there have been too many reports of problems
afterwards to recommend it as a safe procedure.  This is as true of
Fedora as it is of MS Windows or any other platform (Slackware and
OpenBSD seem to be somewhat better about this, but still....).  This is
one of the benefits to the "EL" version of K12LTSP.  You don't have to
upgrade your entire OS just to keep up on your security updates.

Here's how I approach the issue.  Generally, any special tweaks that I
have to make are somewhere in /etc or /usr/local/<application>/etc if
I've compiled it from src.  What I do is put all of these apps in a
single directory, maybe /home/customtweaks/etc, and then I symlink that
custom stuff from there into either /etc or /usr/local/etc, as
appropriate.  This also assumes that /home--or wherever else you're
storing the custom stuff--is on a separate partition.  For example, I
have a custom /etc/dhcpd.conf so that I can netboot x86, PowerMac, and
UltraSPARC thin clients from the same server.  That's how I preserve it
across Fedora releases, because I really don't want to re-write that
thing over and over.

And as for your homedirs, /home should always be on a separate partition
for exactly this reason.  If it's not, what I would do if I were you is
pick up a second hard disk for your server and move all that /home stuff
to it.  Really.

--TP

Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus