[K12OSN] WOL in fl_teachertool for clients--works

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 22:21:00 UTC 2007

On 1/27/07, Barry Cisna <brcisna at eazylivin.net> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
>  If any of you have clients on your lan that has WOL capability,try the
> new python script that Robert Arkiletian has posted below( WOL for thin
> clients ) thread. I tested on an isolated switch on a newer Dell laptop
> as well as an golden oldie gx1 dell desktop and this setup DOES work.
> Whoohoo!
> Note: Make sure you have enabled your WOL in the system's bios!,,:)
> This will be a good selling point to teachers,for k12ltsp. Just set them
> up as as sudoer to launch fl_teachertool,put a launcher on their
> desktop,for fl_tt,,and they can awake their room full of puters from the
> dead via fl_tt( providing the thin clients have WOL capability).

You don't need permission to run fl-tt to use the WOL python script.
You just need to run the Write_MAC_Addresses command once from fl-tt.
Once the file (fl_teachertool.maclist)  is created you don't need to
run it again unless you change a NIC or machine in the lab. I don't
think putting this script into fl-tt would be a good idea because I
think people would rather have it run from a cron job to start the
systems up in the morning.

--
Robert Arkiletian