[K12OSN] Re: LTSP: is it possible to specify networked printers per thin client?

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Mon Jan 29 01:47:24 UTC 2007

john wrote:
> Thanks Jim. I feel honored when I get a response from you in person,
> pretty darn cool.

careful... my head is already rather large :)

> I am using Ubuntu, but I am using LTSP 4.2 not MUkow. I am also using
> cups (via the (gnome-cups-manager) to manage printers. The printer is
> shared via smb://  Using your example below would I just do something
> similar to:
>
> case `echo $DISPLAY | sed s/:.*$//` in
>   ws004)   lpoptions -d smb://pathtoprinter;;
>   ws005)   lpoptions -d smb://pathtootherprinter;
> esac

Well, doesn't cups assign a simple name to your printers, that you can
use from the command line?

Try:

     lpstat -l -a

to get a list of printers that cups knows about.  The name that shows as
the first word of each line is the name you want to use in the lpoptions
command.

Jim.