[K12OSN] Server Specs

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 03:43:33 UTC 2007

With the help of my students I just built two servers from parts fairly
cheaply. We ordered from eWiz.com and each server was just less than
$2000, not including shipping. We also got 2 switches (24-100MB + 2-1GB
ports) for about $90 each.

I've included the eWiz part numbers, not to advertise for them (although
I have no complaints), but so you can look up the parts if you're
interested

1 NEC1231_BL	NEC 1.44MB floppy
2 OS-2210	AMD Opteron Dual-Core Processor 2210
1 CA-STCT01B	Cooler Master Case (terrific case!!!)
1 MB-S2927A2	Tyan Thunder n3600B Motherboard
1 PS-EN0555	Enhance 550W Power Supply
2 D2667R2G4S	2GB DDR2-667 ECC/Registered RAM
2 HD-W740AD	Western Digital Raptor 74GB hard drive
1 DRW-S182LB	Samsung DVD+/-RW drive (with LightScribe)
1 MSI-P62TC6	MSI nVidia Video Card
2 FAN-A86G	Dynatron A86G Dual-Core Socket F 2U fan

A couple of caveats:
1. The fans are godawful loud. I had the maintenance guy drill a hole
through my wall and I have them in a (fairly large) closet because
otherwise it sounds like a hurricane in my room.
2. There are two sizes of heat sinks: 4" and 3.5". If you decide to
order other fans, the motherboard uses the 3.5" fans. We accidentally
ordered 4" the first time and were very frustrated when we had a whole
system just waiting for the right size fans.

Putting everything together was very easy and I can't say enough nice
things about the case. It has plenty of room and plenty of ventilation.

Todd