[K12OSN] Changing the client login screen

David Whitmer thewhitmers at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:02:31 UTC 2007

On 7/2/07, Nils Breunese <nils at breun.nl> wrote:
> Sudev Barar wrote:
>
> > On 02/07/07, Nils Breunese <nils at breun.nl> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I installed K12LTSP 5EL last weekend and I'm still in the process of
> >> configuring everything to our tastes. One thing that has come up is
> >> the thin client login screen. Are there other themes available? Can
> >> we edit the themes? Where do I look to change this?
> >
> > Look under the directory /usr/share/gdm/themes/
> > I would suggest that you copy one of the themes directories into
> > another directory under the same path. The you can play with the files
> > in the sub-directory and make your custom theme.
>
> I was under the impression that the thin clients are served another
> GDM theme. When I hook up a monitor to the server I get the default
> CentOS 5 login theme (pretty nice actually), but on the thin clients
> we get a K12LTSP theme. Can we use that CentOS default theme on our
> clients somehow?
>
> Nils Breunese.

This is all from memory... I won't have access to a K12LTSP machine
until this evening.

Basically, you need to get into GNOME's Login Screen settings and
change the Remote login settings to provide users with the same login
theme as is used for Local logins.  I think all you have to do is
check a checkbox.  Once done, remote logins, which is what the thin
clients are doing, will then get the same GDM theme as you get when
you're sitting at the K12LTSP server.

I hope this helps!

David Whitmer
Director of Media & Technology