[K12OSN] Firefox suddenly crashes

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jul 2 13:49:06 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 16:44 +0700, edwardson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using K12LTSP 6 and I'm having problem with Firefox. There are two
> problems:
>
> 1. When I do yum update, and firefox is updated. It always gives the
> users message that firefox is already running. We have to start firefox
> until the update box appears, then and only then will firefox come out.

Firefox profiles are a joy </sarcasm>. If firefox was running when the
firefox binaries were updated with yum, you have a problem. You can try
and remove the lock file in every users ~/.mozilla/firefox/<profile name
is gibberish>/ folder. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it
doesn't, check if the system generated a second (or more) profile.
Remove all the other profiles and try again.

> 2. Another problem is firefox just suddenly closes while visiting a page
> or reading something.
>
> What could be the causes of this problem?

buggy. I have just seen 32 bit firefox die instantly (and repeatably)
when I right-click on a running flash section. This is an upstream
support issue that centos->redhat->mozilla needs to handle. A debug line
indicated an error with the gecko rendering engine.

> Another question, is there any updated guide to authenticate LTSP with
> Active Directory? And lastly, I haven't tried NFS, is it hard to configure?

If you are running K12LTSP with clients working, you are already running
NFS :)

For the most part NFS is pretty straight forward. Set up the share
in /etc/exports by copying the config for another share. This is simple
as long as you are using the easy NFS v3 or less. NFS v4 adds good
security and is quite a bit more complicated to setup. K12LTSP uses v3