[K12OSN] Howto Setup VNC with LTSP 5 (Edubuntu)

Alberto Castillo proyecto.edulin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 19:33:22 UTC 2007

2007/7/2, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org>:

> Just wondering if anyone here has set LTSP 5 (I am using the Edubuntu 7.04version) to
> allow login via VNC without a password and still use the proper login
> windows? Just
> another one of those things I have been spoiled with using K12LTSP and
> don't really know
> how to set it up :-)

Hi!
Via the daemon inetd
In k12 xinetd  is the responsible
In Debian is inetd.
I will tell a few steps to follow:
1) Install  Thigth Vnc Server, that moves his in function of the  traffic of
the net
2) set up inetd and services:

modify /etc/services and at the bottom of file add this:

# Local services
#VNC On-Demand
vnc-800x600x16   5901/tcp

(here you have a log screen of 800*600 px and 16bits of colors via port
5901)

Modify /etc/inetd.conf and at the bottom of file add this:

# VNC On-Demand
vnc-800x600x16  stream  tcp     nowait  nobody.tty      /usr/bin/Xvnc Xvnc
-inetd -query localhost
-once -geometry 800x600 -depth 16

(copy and paste)

Now:

3) restart inetd daemon:

/etc/init.d/inetd restart

4) in the client:
Use any vnc client (I use Svnc Viewer)
like:
vncviewer [host]:1

If your server have the IP 192.168.0.254:

vncviewer 192.168.0.254:1

Greetings
Alberto

Jim Kronebusch