[K12OSN] need some basic help

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Jul 2 19:36:07 UTC 2007

> > 2) I would like to set up a few of the terminals as kiosks that only go
> > > our library catalog.
> >
> > This isn't totally straightforward, but playing with either the KDE
> > kiosktool or GNOME's sabayon, pessulus, and gconf-editor may get you
> > in the ballpark.

I haven't done this but I would think you would start by building a different /opt/ltsp
tree such as /opt/ltsp/kiosk and run it along side of your /opt/ltsp/i386.  Then maybe
you could set up in your dhcpd.conf a different range of addresses to have option
root-path "/opt/ltsp/kiosk" and then assign ip ranges based off of mac addresses (you
could have a default root-path and specifically assign whichever you have the least of,
if kiosks are only a small portion of all your ltsp clients then specify those).  Hope
that helps get you on the right path.  If anyone has specific directions to do this
please post, or if anyone thinks this wouldn't work please post as well :-)

I will probably be doing something similar in the near future.  Since I am using ubuntu
and ltsp5 it should be a little simpler.  They have a tool called ltsp-build-client for
building the /opt/ltsp tree.  You can pass options such as --arch=i386 or --arch=amd64
to it.  Another option is --kiosk which will build a kiosk environment automatically.
So I built an /opt/ltsp/i386, /opt/ltsp/amd64 and /opt/ltsp/kiosk.  Right now I can boot
any of the three by changing the option-root path in the dhcpd.conf, so in the future I
plan on adding the exceptions that will not boot /opt/ltsp/i386 to boot one of the other
two trees by mac address.  We'll see if that works.