[K12OSN] Need Help

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sat Jul 7 15:48:00 UTC 2007

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:16:26 -0600
"Don Gould" <don at myfam.com> wrote:

> The school is located in Hollandale, MN located 7 miles east of I-35
> and 18 miles north of the Iowa border.
>
> I plan to dual boot all of my thin clients so to start there will be
> at least 24 possibly all 30.  If this works well I might add as many
> 5 more for a total of 35.  I'm hoping to boot Linux off of 3.5 disks
> on each machine.  All of the machines are different as they are all
> used computers.  The most advance process I will be running is the
> K12 version of Power Point.
>
> Thanks
>
> Don

I had a similar set up for a while -- 5 "thin clients" that were really
Windows 9x machines.  They were thin clients when booting from the
floppy (used the Etherboot Universal Boot Floppy) and Windows machines
when booting from the hard drive.  I had a box of floppies all with the
UBF image on them (since they tended to disappear, break, etc).

Couple of things to remember --
  Since you have a mix of hardware, you will prob have to have an
individual entry in the lts.conf file for each one.  Find the most
common aspects and go with that (ie. all use PS2 mice, all use Model XYZ
mice, etc) and put that into the common config area.  If you are not
already standardized in that area, the extra money to standardize might
be worth it.  Then in the individual config sections, you would only
have to worry about video card/monitor.

  If you have individual configs, you will probable have to assign the
IP addresses.  You can use the K12 servers DHCP to do it. Just get the
mac addresses of each box.

Just remember that since you have ~24 different systems, this is not
going to be "a walk in the park" as far as conf setups.  It will most
likely take some time to get them all up and running 100%.  But once
there, the only time you will return to the issue is when some hardware
breaks.  Keep good notes :-)

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org