[K12OSN] Need Help

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Jul 7 23:32:30 UTC 2007

Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 09:16:26AM -0600, Don Gould wrote:
>
>> I'm hoping to boot Linux off of 3.5 disks
>> on each machine.
>>

> You could also try booting off a CD.  I find it's quicker than booting
> from the floppy (due to the increased read speed), and it might even be
> cheaper.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80408&package_id=97496&release_id=190646
>
> -Rob

Actually, booting off the CD isn't going to affect speed very much at
all.  The reason is that the EtherBoot file is so small--32KB to
36KB--that it'll take as much time for the CD to spin up as it would to
read that little file from a floppy.  Now, hard disk, that's a different
story.  But even then, the file's so small that--fortunately--it doesn't
matter that much.

Also remember, once the EtherBoot image is loaded, you're then
TFTP-booting across the network.  The floppy's out of the picture at
that point.

--TP