[K12OSN] Java on K12LTSP 5EL

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Sun Jul 8 17:58:58 UTC 2007

Nils Breunese wrote:

> I used the Install additional software -> Get Java method to
> install Java on a fresh K12LTSP 5EL server. Though it's not the
> latest version it seems to work fine on a console:
>
>   $ java -version
>   java version "1.5.0_10"
>   Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-
> b03)
>   Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode)
>
> The browser plugin doesn't seem to be installed however, as all
> Java applets in Firefox show the puzzle piece icon and tell me to
> install a plugin. Is this a bug? Anything I can do to fix this?

The fact that we run 64-bit (Flash is working with nspluginwrapper)
might have something to do with this? Can Java work with
nspluginwrapper or is 32-bit Firefox the only way? 'nspluginwrapper -
v -a -u' doesn't get me Java in 64-bit Firefox and 'nspluginwrapper -
i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so' tells me that file
is not a valid NPAPI plugin.

Nils Breunese.