[K12OSN] Open Source Software deployment

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Jul 11 05:04:02 UTC 2007

I did this with my father.  He actually is still on MS Windows until I
can get out there this year.  The last time I had to wipe/reinstall on
his box, I installed the following software:

1.)  OpenOffice.org, set to save in MS Office file formats by default.
2.)  Firefox Web Browser.
3.)  Thunderbird email client.

He was using MS Outlook Express.  When he saw Thunderbird, he praised it
to high Heaven, saying, and I quote, "Son, this is exactly the kind of
thing I've been hoping for!"

Market it not as a "replacement" to MS Windows.  You'll get lots of
resistance if you do that.  Rather, market it as an "enhancement" or
"update" to the existing system.

Some people will complain a lot at first...until they get used to it.
One thing I've done is say, "oh, this is just the latest update to
Office."  God help me, it worked, and *strictly* speaking, it's true.
The big thing is to have buy-in and support from the top.  If you have
the top bosses backing you, then the rest will follow in order to keep
their jobs.  I assure you, they *will* get used to it, just like they
got used to MS Windows XP and MS Office 2003...or any other new
application that they are required by their bosses to use.

Read this for an example of how an entire office was converted to
K12LTSP.  Yes, he had top-boss backing.

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/85-One-Small-Business-Gladly-Gives-Microsoft-the-Boot.html

--TP
Do you GNU!?