[K12OSN] wireless bridge setup for classroom clusters of thin-clients

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jul 16 17:14:34 UTC 2007

I thought some more about this while winging my way the SFO.

Greg X wrote:
> please see this image http://tmaedu.com/tmp/classroom-wireless.png
>
> i'm looking for network configuration help for setting up DD-WRT
> router firmware on two Buffalo WHT-G125 routers in a bridge
> configuration to allow thin-client PC's connected to bridge router to
> issue their boot image requests to the LTSP server.
>
> can someone suggest the DD-WRT network config to support this?
>
> the WHT-G125 has a 125mb/s mode that should support the speed needed
> for 4 terminals per classroom we require. i'll also turn the transmit
> power down from 28mw to 10mw so that multiple adjacent classrooms
> won't collide.
That Buffalo has only one radio, right?

All of our work in 802.11s is including support of both backbone and AP
support on the same radio, but this puts some real sever restrictions on
the network configuration.

An 802.11 radio can only work on one channel at a time.  (Well 802.11n
does change this with MIMO, each antenna can work on its own channel.)

If you can find any box with two radios, your overall performance will
be be better.

You are frittering away your bandwidth with both backbone and clients on
one radio.  You will not get anywhere close to your 125mb bandwidth.  It
is automatically halved for moving the data across the backbone and
to/from the client.