[K12OSN] Quick Question about Swap partitions

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Wed Jul 25 13:46:23 UTC 2007

Op 25-jul-2007, om 15:40 heeft Jim Kronebusch het volgende geschreven:

> How big should they be?  I have read places that too large of a
> Swap partition is bad, I
> have also read that a good rule of thumb is to make your swap
> partition twice the size
> of your RAM.  In my case I have 16GB of RAM.  Does that mean I
> should have 32GB swap
> partitions?

That sounds a bit ridiculous. I have a server with 4GB of RAM and
since we don't have that much users, we have absolutely no need for a
dedicated swap partition. We never get to 100% RAM usage. I haven't
even set one up. You can always just create a swapfile on your
filesystem for emergency (and then get more RAM).

Nils Breunese.