[K12OSN] Quick Question about Swap partitions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jul 26 01:54:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 05:03 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> On 25/07/07, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
> > > You can run large RAM machines with no swap. By large RAM I mean 2GB and
> > > up. After 1GB of RAM, swap is nearly useless anyway.
> > >
> > > Besides saying "I have a machine with 32GB of SWAP" doesn't sound as
> > > cool as "I have a machine with 32GB or RAM". :}
> > >
> > > If you _really_ want to go "hardcore" make a 2GB ramdisk and use that
> > > for swap!
> >
> > Thanks for the info.
>
> Jim, if you are trying to do that then it may be even more interesting
> to see if / or parts of / containing most of the programs (/usr?)
> could be pivot mounted on to ramdisk The system response would go up
> like anything. Would be interesting to get comments on that.

I'm tinkering with a very high performance setup that loads the entire
filesystem into a ramdisk on bootup. It takes an extra 4-6 GB RAM to do
it but the performance is outstanding (sort of - I run into limits on
the networking performance then bus performance for the NICs)!! I am
looking at just ram mounting /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/lib64 to thin down
the RAM size requirements. I have room in the servers I build and sell
for more RAM (they can take up to 32GB of DDR2 667MHz) and an optional
board (and 2U case) can push that to 128GB. I don't have that much RAM
on hand to test with at the moment :( (I'm holding out cash for the
anticipated August release of the quad-core Opterons - yum! - run an
whole school on one server...).