[K12OSN] Radius server?

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 12:07:54 UTC 2007

On Sunday 01 July 2007 04:16, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> I have some IT folks coming to our school next week. One of them
> mentioned using RADIUS, for centralised authorisation.
>
> We have an IPCOP firewall and a K12LTSP sever running smbldap, with
> about 20+ thin clients and 4-5 laptops connecting through 2 wireless
> accesspoints. We  also have a koha library server and are considering
> implementing an Asterisk VOIP pabx also.
>
> Is a Radius server likely to be useful for us?
>
> Krsnendu dasa

RADIUS could be very useful to you *if* your Access Points are capable of
using it.

I did some exploratory work using FreeRADIUS with smbldap for implementing
"WPA Enterprise" security and I put up a "Howto":

	http://jnet.vi/OSS-Net/Smbldap-Wifi/smbldap-wifi.html

There is a link to a tarball with all the modified files mentioned in this
document:

	http://jnet.vi/OSS-Net/Smbldap-Wifi/smbldap-wifi.tar.gz

You continue usint LDAP for Linux authentication, RADIUS is used only as a
means of re-using the same (LDAP) credential store with your Wifi Access
Points.