[K12OSN] how to set up passwordless ssh access

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jul 2 12:32:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 07:56 +0300, Micha Silver wrote:

> I believe this is incorrect. You never need to create a key pair on a
> server, only on the client computer that needs to connect to the server.

Yes. The client has to have pub keys installed on the server. The only
way for the pub key to get installed is to have some other form of
server-trusted access that allows key insertion into the keyring. That
makes up the bit that says the servers knows the key is OK. Since the
client user has the decrypt key that matches the pub key, the server now
knows the client is who they claim to be.

If you have two machine that need to communicate over ssh with either
side initiating the process then both machine need to have the others
pub key as both will act as a client in the process.
--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>